/> LukeandNick.com

Entry 29 // Moshi and Mwanga

Update by: Nick | March 12th 2011

After climbing we decided to take it easy for a day or two. Our bus took us back to a hotel in Moshi that was included in our climbing cost. Then we did what we've been needing to do for a long time, take a shower. After taking a shower and relaxing for a few hours we met up with the Danish girls for pizza. They treated us for letting them use our sleeping bags. We didn't stay out too long. Everyone was exausted from the climb.
The next day was our last day to spend with Timmer. We got a late start. It took us awhile to find a new hotel to stay at. I guess there was marathon going on and most of the rooms in the city were booked. After finding a place we spent the day wandering the town, surfing the internet, and hanging out with the girls. The girls gave us the name of the village they volunteered at, and Luke and I decided we would head to their village the next day and see what everyday life was like there. We spent our last night with Timmer hanging out at our hostel with the girls eating street meat and laughing.
The street meat didn't seem to agree with Timmer too much in the morning. His next 48 hours of buses, planes and trains were going to be very unpleasant. After seeing Timmer off, Luke and I take the day to catch up with our website. We spent the entire day writing updates and making skype calls.
We woke up the next morning with plans to see the village the Danish girls worked at. We weren't in too much of hurry. We hit the road around noon, and only had a 45 minute drive for the day. It was a weird feeling not trying to drive 500 miles in one day.
The girls may of gave us the name of their village, but they didn't tell us were they lived or how to find them. To our surprise the village was a lot bigger than we expected. It wasn't very big, but we it was big enough that not everyone would know where the "white girls" lived. Luke saw a sign for a school and we started following the schools signs, since we knew they were teachers. We got to the school and were immediately surrounded by kids. We asked them where Maize and Liv were, and they seemed to know what we were talking about. They pointed at a building and said, "there". We asked the kids in the building they pointed at, and they didn't know where the girls were. After a few minutes the other teachers came outside. I'm sure the teachers were just as curious about the noise from the motorcycles as the students were. We asked the teachers were the girls were and they said they were at their home. She let one of the students show us were they lived. One of the boys climbed on Lukes bike and off we road to their house.
When we arrived at the house we were greated by a very nice man. He was Maize and Liv's "papa". We finally found the place. Unfortunately they weren't home. They were still in Moshi. Apparently one of the girls was in the Hospital with stomach problems. She had been there for the last two days. That would put here there the morning Timmer left to go home. I guess Timmer's stomach wasn't the only one that didn't like the street meat. I bet Timmer had a really fun trip back to the states. Their Papa invited us into his home and we chatted with him for awhile. He was a really nice guy and said the girls would probably be back that afternoon and to come back at 5 when he would be back at the house after he ran a few errands. We needed to back to the school anyway and drop off the boy who gave us directions. Since we had to drive back to the school, the man asked if would could take his children with us. This was awesome. We set us some cameras and Two kids hopped on Lukes bike and two more hopped on mine. The weirdest thing about it was I'm pretty sure Luke and I had bigger smiles on our face than the kids.When we arrived at the school, everyone came our to see what was going on. Luke started making freinds immediately and broke out the hacky-sac. Hacky-sacs are a great way to play with kids.I have no idea how the education system works in Africa. We never saw any teaching or learning going on there. The closes thing we saw were some lessons painted on the side of the school walls. All the teachers were just sitting in a room hanging out, and all the students were yelling and screaming in different room, or were outside. Not to mention the other hundred kids we saw walking around the village. One teacher in particular was really interested in us. His name was Mushi. He spent an hour talking with us at the school and made us go shake the headmasters hand.
Luke and I started to get hungry and asked him if he knew a place we could eat. He jumped at the chance to show us around, and before we knew it, Mushi was on the back of my bike giving us directions.Before going to the restraurant, we had to stop by his home to see it. Mushi was very hospitable. He gave us each a Pepsi (that's right I said Pepsi) and a box of graham crackers. He spent the next 30 minutes talking with us and showing us all the items he had for sale in his shop. He told us he started selling things out of his house in December to make some extra cash, quite the entrapaneur. Now it was time to get some food. During luch we showed him some pictures of our tirp and after dinner he showed us his favorite hang out spot which he likes to go to after work. His favorite hang out spot was just a small shop next to the bus station, where a little old lady worked. 5:00 came and we headed back to Danish girls family.The Danes were still in Moshi and weren't coming back that night. Luke and I hung out at their house with their Tazanian family hoping to get the invite to stay for the night. We never did. So after talkig for awhile and seeing their chickens, we head back to Moshi to spend the night.Why make two tirps when one is easy?After our night back in Moshi we decided it was time to splurge and spend some money on a safari. We heard Ngorongoro was the best in Africa from a guy traveling by Land Cruiser with his family. So that is where we were headed. The park wasn't very far, only about 200 kilometers away. Our goal was to see the park that day and head to Nairobi the next. We knew it was expensive and that they didn't allow bikes into the park, so our plan was to go to the gate of the park and see if we could bum a ride with some tourists that had a car already.
When we arrived at the gate, we were denied entry like we expected. We did not find many vehicles which were not part of a tour group like we expected to. By now it was noon and we started getting some more information. It turned out there was a $50 a person entrace fee and a $200 vehicle entrace fee. This meant it was $150 each, not including the cost of renting a vehicle. People at the gate were offering us trucks to rent for $200 a day. We didn't like that. Plus it was noon and the park closed at 6:00. We decided to head back to the closest town (about 7 miles back) and see if we could find a rental for cheaper. The best we found was $150 a day. It sucked but we really wanted to see some the animals, so we bit the bullet and agreed. The truck we rented came with a driver for the day and they showed us to a campsite we could stay at for the night. The plan was to pick us up their in the morning at 7:30. We had a few more problems to deal with before the day was through. The $50 a person and $200 vehicle park fees needed to be paid in US dollars. That is so weird to me. Why does a goverment run park refuse to take their own currency. After getting the money exchanged we finally found some food to eat. The food was not that good. Luke and I are starting to become vegitarian. The meat is mostly bone and fat. The rice and sauce is where it's at.Before going to bed, we spend the rest of the afternoon playing in the pool. Luke is pretty pumped to do a running backflip which he hasn't tried in years.And we have to give each high-fives.Here is the swimming video.







HTML Comment Box is loading comments...